Taxes: IRS, State, Local, Property, Sales, Etc.
At EPGD Attorneys at Law, a substantial part of our practice is dedicated to providing tax-related legal advice and representation in tax litigation. We approach complex tax issues from a business perspective, delivering value to our clients while minimizing their costs and risks.
Our team includes attorneys and MBAs who can review your tax issues from a legal and business perspective.
Representing Businesses and Individuals in Tax Matters
We represent everyone from large companies to individuals in tax matters. In each case, we follow a course of action based on consultation with the client and individually tailored to the client’s needs and goals. Our tax services include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Tax audits: If you or your business has been given notice of an impending audit by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or a state tax authority, our experienced tax lawyers can protect your interests and represent you in any ensuing controversies.
- Tax whistleblowing: If you have knowledge of tax fraud or tax underpayments on the part of your employer or any other entity or individual, our attorneys can help you understand the qui tam whistleblowing process and pursue your chosen course of action.
- Criminal tax defense: Our firm has a strong background in white collar criminal defense. If you have been charged with or are under investigation for tax evasion or any other tax-related offense in federal or state court, we will diligently protect your rights.
- State and local tax: We regularly advise clients on matters involving state and local income tax, sales and use tax, franchise tax, transfer tax and property tax.
- Homestead Exemption Disputes: Florida, Maryland, and many other states offer benefits to property owners who make their primary residence in-state. These same states often challenge the primary residence classification, potentially resulting in wide ranging and expensive penalties for homeowners.
- Trust Fund Recovery Penalty: Owners, executives and even mid-level managers can be help personally responsible for a company’s failure to properly withhold and turn-over employment tax withholdings to the IRS, resulting in debilitating personal liabilities.
- Exempt organizations: We help nonprofit and other tax-exempt organizations secure tax-exempt status and structure their activities so as to maintain that status.
- Foreign (Offshore) Asset Disclosures: We assist clients with the increasingly frequent attempts by the IRS to locate, identify, seize, and penalize foreign assets, including:
- FBAR – Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts
- OVDP – Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program
- FATCA – Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act
- TIEA – Tax Information Exchange Agreement
From our offices in South Florida, we represent clients throughout the Miami-Dade County, Broward and beyond. Call us at (786) 837-6787 or e-mail us to schedule a consultation with an experienced South Florida tax attorney.
Recent Blog Posts
- “Drive By” Lawsuits…. what?
- A Mini-Guide for Employers on Writ of Garnishment
- How well do you know your FMLA rights?
- What is Florida Homestead Portability?
- If you have a loved one with special needs, you may want to read this.
- Will You? … Will you be my special one?
- Let’s blow the whistle on this joint.
- Is your spouse a Non-US Citizen? Do you have a QDOT in place?
- Could Dorothy be Held Liable for Foreign Taxes in The Land of OZ?
- 2016 Corporate Tax Filing Deadline
- What happens to a Single Member LLC, once the member of the LLC dies?
- Receiving Social Security from an Ex-Spouse
- Buyers of Real Property May Be Held Liable for the Tax of a Foreign Seller!
- USCIS New Hire Update
- How a Tax Lien Works