Timothy J. Canney – Of Counsel
Mr. Canney focuses his practice on tax controversies and tax planning, and frequently represents clients in business transactions and acquisitions. As an associate, Timothy Canney assists both individual and business clients in resolving tax disputes with the Internal Revenue Service and with state taxing authorities. Mr. Canney’s practice also includes international tax planning and controversies, as well as representation of clients with undisclosed foreign assets.
Mr. Canney is also a part of the firm’s litigation practice, and has represented individual and business clients in a variety of matters including contract disputes, shareholder oppression claims, personal injury and tort claims, labor disputes, employee misclassification investigations, and real estate litigation. In addition, Mr. Canney has assisted with appellate litigation before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
Mr. Canney attended Catholic University’s Columbus School of Law, where he earned his Juris Doctor degree in May, 2011.While in law school, Mr. Canney served as Note and Comment Editor for the Catholic University Law Review, and was chosen to serve as teaching assistant to the director of the Lawyering Skills Program. Mr. Canney’s publications include “Tax Gross-Ups: A Practical Guide to Arguing and Calculating Awards for Adverse Tax Consequences in Discrimination Suits,” 59 Cath. U. L. Rev. 1111 (2010), which won the Outstanding Legal Writing Award from the prestigious Burton Foundation, a national non-profit established to promote excellence in legal writing. Mr. Canney recently earned his Master of Laws (LL.M.) in taxation, along with a certification in international taxation, from the Georgetown University Law Center.
Business and Transactional Planning
Foreign Asset Disclosures(FBAR & OVDP)
District of Columbia (2012)
U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland (2012)
United States Tax Court (2012)
B.A., Providence College (2008)
J.D., Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law (2011)
LL.M. (Taxation), Georgetown University Law Center (2013)
Certificate in International Tax, Georgetown University Law Center (2013)
Recent Blog Posts
- Obtaining a Florida Real Estate Sales Associate License as an Attorney
- Looking Into Trust Fund Recovery
- Is Franchising right for you?
- Check out this treaty that protects your trademark further!
- Help! I’m liable for trademark infringement!
- For the musicians in life!
- WIPO and what it does for your brand!
- Trademarks: Contested v. Uncontested
- Federal Intellectual Property – What you should know about securing a judgement.
- R is not for railroad or movie ratings…
- FLSA rights to make Mary Poppins proud!
- Where there’s a will, there’s a way! #CivilTheftRelief
- Medicaid; What you should know!
- Love and Marriage.. I mean, Taxes and Bankruptcy…
- “Drive By” Lawsuits…. what?