Our team includes attorneys and MBAs who can review your tax issues from a legal and business perspective.
At EPGD Attorneys at Law P.A., a substantial part of our practice is dedicated to providing tax-related legal advice and representation in tax litigation. We approach complex tax issues from a business perspective, delivering value to our clients while minimizing their costs and risks.
Representing Businesses and Individuals in Tax Matters
We represent everyone from large companies to individuals in various types of tax matters. In each unique case, we follow a course of action based on the consultation and communications with the client, and individually tailor the course of action to the client’s specific needs and goals. Our tax services include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Tax audits: If you or your business has been given notice of an impending audit by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or a state tax authority, our experienced tax lawyers can protect your interests and represent you in any ensuing controversies.
- IRS Collections Process: If you or your business has been given Notice of Intent to Levy, Final Notice of Intent to Levy, and Taxpayer’s Right to a Hearing, or any other correspondence from the IRS, our Firm can advise you on how to remain tax compliant, or on the correct steps to take to appeal such notices. We also assist clients through the process of requesting Innocent Spouse Relief. The Innocent Spouse Relief is only available to individuals who are seeking relief from the IRS of the responsibility to pay taxes, interest, and penalties if a spouse or former spouse improperly reported information. Our Firm also assists in the preparation of:
- – Offer In Compromises
- – Installment Agreements
- – Currently Not Collectible Status
- – Request For Abatement
- Tax Whistleblowing: If you have knowledge of tax fraud or tax underpayments on the part of your employer or any other entity or individual, our attorneys can help you understand the Qui Tam whistleblowing process and pursue your chosen course of action.
- Criminal Tax Defense: Our Firm has a strong background in white collar criminal defense. If you have been charged with or are under investigation for tax evasion or any other tax-related offense in federal or state court, we will diligently protect your rights.
- State and Local Tax: We regularly advise clients on matters involving state and local income tax, sales and use tax, franchise tax, transfer tax, and property tax, such as ad valorem taxes.
- Homestead Exemption Disputes: Florida, Maryland, and many other states offer benefits to property owners who make their primary residence in-state. These same states often challenge the primary residence classification, potentially resulting in wide-ranging and expensive penalties for homeowners. Our experienced tax team can help protect your homestead exemption while assisting with your individual or business needs, to ensure your homestead protections remain intact.
- Trust Fund Recovery Penalty: Owners, executives and even mid-level managers can be held personally responsible for a company’s failure to properly withhold and turn-over employment tax withholdings to the IRS, resulting in debilitating personal liabilities. If the IRS has imposed the Trust Fund Recovery Penalty on you, our Firm can protect your personal interests and limit or reduce your personal liabilities by assisting you throughout the Request for Abatement process. If you own a company that the IRS has imposed penalties, interests, or notices of intent to levy or lien your assets, we also provide the services diligently protect its assets and request the appropriate relief from the IRS.
- Estate Planning Protections Our Firm helps clients structure their current real and personal property so that both our clients and their heirs achieve the desired outcome while receiving the most favorable tax consequences.
- International Tax Planning for Non-Residents or Foreign Businesses: If you are not a U.S. Citizen and are looking to invest in U.S. real property or already own U.S. real property, or own foreign businesses conducting or seeking to conduct business within the U.S. and want to structure its ownership to achieve the most favorable U.S. tax consequences, our team of experienced tax lawyers can protect your interests while assisting you throughout the structuring process.
- Exempt Organizations We help companies seeking to achieve non-profit or other tax-exempt statuses obtain tax-exempt status, as well as advise tax-exempt organizations on how to structure their activities so as to maintain that status.
- Foreign (Offshore) Asset Disclosures: We assist clients with the increasingly frequent attempts by the IRS to locate, identify, seize, and penalize foreign assets, including:
- FBAR – Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts
- OVDP – Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program
- FATCA – Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act
- TIEA – Tax Information Exchange Agreement
From our offices in South Florida, we represent clients throughout the Miami-Dade County, Broward and beyond. Call us at (786) 837-6787 or e-mail us to schedule a consultation with an experienced South Florida tax attorney.