Maria Passo was born in Bahia, Brazil, but lived for over 14 years in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. She obtained a Juris Doctor equivalent from IBMEC – Instituto Brasileiro de Mercado de Capitais (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil), where she graduated Summa Cum Laude and at the top of her class. As a result, Maria earned a merit-based scholarship to pursue a Master of Laws in International Arbitration from the University of Miami School of Law, where she successfully obtained her master’s degree.
Maria is part of the dispute resolution practice group at EPGD Business Law and has experience in complex litigation and arbitration disputes.
Maria is the assistant editor of the Indian Review of International Arbitration in cooperation with the MNLU Mumbai Centre for Arbitration and Research. She is also the author of the article “After Car Wash: Arbitration of Brazilian Infrastructure Contracts” published in the Inter-American Law Review of the University of Miami School of Law.
Maria is fluent in English and Portuguese, and has limited working proficiency in Spanish.
On a Personal Note: In her free time, Maria enjoys going to the beach, staying active, trying new restaurants, and spending time with her family and friends.
- IBMEC – Instituto Brasileiro de Mercado de Capitais – Juris Doctor equivalent (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) (2019)
- University of Miami School of Law – Master of Laws in International Arbitration (2020)
- State of New York, 2021
- Brazil (Passed the Brazil Bar Exam; Pending admission), 2019
- John H. Rooney, Jr. P.A. (Miami)
- Shutts & Bowen LLP (Miami)
- Mayer Brown LLP (Brazil branch: Tauil & Chequer in Association with Mayer Brown)
- Machado, Meyer, Sendacz & Opice Advogados (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
- FCDG – Ferro, Castro Neves, Daltro & Gomide Advogados (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)