Could Dorothy be Held Liable for Foreign Taxes in The Land of OZ?

Now that the title caught your attention, the reality is that buyers of real property may be held liable for the Tax of a Foreign Seller.

A non-foreign certification is a document that protects buyers of real property interests from liability for the IRS withholding tax, which applies if the seller is a foreign person. If a seller is a non-U.S. citizen or resident, then FIRPTA (The Foreign Investment in Property Tax Act) applies and the buyer must withhold 15% of the sale price at the closing (10% before February 17, 2016). Even though the taxable gain of a transaction is earned by and is taxable to the foreign seller, the buyer is held liable for the tax if the foreign seller does not pay it. The withholding is required even if the transaction is through an installment sale.

However, there are exceptions to FIRPTA, where withholding is not required: when the purchaser will use the property as his residence and was purchased for a price of $300,000 or less, or when the seller is a not a foreign person and shows proof of it, or if it is an interest in a non-publicly traded domestic corporation where the corporation provides proof of US based, or if acquiring shares of a publicly traded corporation regardless of where it is incorporated.

If FIRPTA applies, the buyer must report the sale to the IRS on Forms 8288 and 8288-A, and pay the required tax withholding by the 20th day after the date of transfer. The foreign seller must also have a tax identification number (ITIN)(See our blog “ITIN and You” for more info).

Click below for Form 8288 and 8288-A


Yet, if withholding is required, the amount may be reduced to less than 15% of the full price only when certification by the IRS is requested, that a reduced amount applies. The responsibility lies with the buyer because the IRS wants to make sure taxes are paid in case the foreign seller leaves the country.

There are several different forms and documents that need to be filed and reviewed by an attorney. This is a very complex area of law and those who wish to learn more are encouraged to consult an attorney before moving forward. EPGD Law is here to assist you in any of your homestead, FIRPTA, and ITIN questions/concerns. We can be reached by phone (786) 837-6787 or email

EPGD Business Law is located in beautiful Coral Gables, West Palm Beach and historic Washington D.C. Call us at (786) 837-6787, or contact us through the website to schedule a consultation.

*Disclaimer: this blog post is not intended to be legal advice. We highly recommend speaking to an attorney if you have any legal concerns. Contacting us through our website does not establish an attorney-client relationship.*

Share this post


*The following comments are not intended to be treated as legal advice. The answer to your question is limited to the basic facts presented. Additional details may heavily alter our assessment and change the answer provided. For a more thorough review of your question please contact our office for a consultation.



Contact Us

"*" indicates required fields