What Permits Do I Need In Order To Be An Event Promoter in Miami, Florida?

What Permits Do I Need In Order To Be An Event Promoter in Miami, Florida?

What Are Some of the Licenses Needed?

The specific permits and licenses required to be an event promoter in Miami, Florida will depend on the type and size of the events you plan to host, as well as the location of the events. Normally, the permits and licenses that may be required are: (1) business license, (2) special events permit, (3) liquor license, (4) food permit, (5) fire safety permit, and (6) sound permit. 

You will need to obtain a business license from the City of Miami in order to legally operate as an event promoter. If you are planning to host an event in a public space, such as a park or a street, you will need to obtain a special event permit from the City of Miami. If you plan to serve alcohol at your events, you will need to obtain a liquor license from the Florida Division of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco. Similar to alcohol, if you plan to serve food at your events, you will need to obtain a food permit from the Miami-Dade County Department of Health. In general, for the sake of safety, you will need to obtain a fire safety permit from the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Department for events that include pyrotechnics, open flames, or other fire hazards. Finally, if you plan to have live music or amplified sound at your events, you will need to obtain a sound permit from the Miami-Dade County.

What Are Some General Business Tips for Starting Your Event Promoter Business?

Creating your event promoter business can be complicated and confusing, as such here are some general business tips for starting your event promoter business: (1) pick your niche, this could be from basketball games to festivals; (2) create your promoter business team, this can be from your savvy public relations manager to your business manager; (3) select your business entity structure, such as an LLC or an corporation; (4) consider protecting your brand and original work with a trademark or copyright; and (5) get all of your licenses and permits.  

The process of starting a business can be difficult, expensive, and time-consuming, as such it is recommended to hire an attorney who can better help you through each stage of this process. 

EPGD Business Law is located in beautiful Coral Gables, West Palm Beach and historic Washington D.C. Call us at (786) 837-6787, or contact us through the website to schedule a consultation.

*Disclaimer: this blog post is not intended to be legal advice. We highly recommend speaking to an attorney if you have any legal concerns. Contacting us through our website does not establish an attorney-client relationship.*

Share this post

Silvino Diaz

Silvino E. Diaz’s practice ranges from Civil and Commercial Litigation to Entertainment and Intellectual Property Law. Silvino has earned a reputation as one of Puerto Rico’s foremost advocates for independent musicians and artists. As a result of his sustained commitment to creative industries, he was named Professor of Intellectual Property Law at Atlantic University College (Guaynabo, PR) – the Caribbean’s leading digital arts institution – where he spearheaded the “Introduction to IP” course for both the graduate and undergraduate programs, and was appointed by the Office of the President to develop an Intellectual Property graduate curriculum, where he served until moving to Miami in 2017. He is the founder of the service known as Starving Artists, where he offers innovative business and legal counsel for artists and creatives.


*The following comments are not intended to be treated as legal advice. The answer to your question is limited to the basic facts presented. Additional details may heavily alter our assessment and change the answer provided. For a more thorough review of your question please contact our office for a consultation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Contact Us

"*" indicates required fields