What is a Judicial Dissolution of a Corporation?

Broken contract due to judicial dissolution

A judicial dissolution of a corporation, also known as involuntary dissolution, occurs when a court orders a corporation to cease operations and be dissolved. Although uncommon, judicial dissolutions do occur, and they are often the result of a severe impasse amongst the corporation’s shareholders that is negatively affecting its operations.

What are the two ways to dissolve a corporation?

A corporation may be dissolved either voluntarily or involuntarily. In a voluntary dissolution, the shareholders of a corporation all agree that the business should be dissolved, and they follow the required steps to formally do so. In Florida, this requires the cessation of all business activities, filing articles of dissolution with the Division of Corporations, liquidating all corporate assets, repaying any debts, and distributing surplus funds.

However, if the company has engaged in fraudulent activity, or the company’s shareholders are unable to make a decision regarding a serious issue, the company may be involuntarily dissolved via a judicial dissolution.

How may a corporation be judicially dissolved in Florida?

In Florida, a corporation may be judicially dissolved in one of three ways. The first way is through a proceeding by the Department of Legal Affairs. This occurs when a corporation is found to have obtained its articles of incorporation through fraud or deception, or when the corporation has abused or exceeded the authority conferred upon it.

The second way a corporation may be judicially dissolved is in a proceeding by a shareholder. This may occur in four different scenarios. First, if the directors are deadlocked in the management of corporate affairs, the shareholders are unable to break the deadlock, and either the corporation is threatened with irreparable injury, or the corporation cannot continue to be operated to the advantage of the shareholders due to the deadlock. Second, if the shareholders are deadlocked in voting power, and have been unable to elect successors to directors whose terms have expired. Third, if the corporation has suffered material injury due to corporate assets being misapplied or wasted. Fourth, if the directors or others in a position of control have committed fraudulent or otherwise illegal acts.

Lastly, a corporation may be judicially dissolved in a proceeding by a creditor. To do so, the creditor must establish that: (a) the creditor’s claim has been reduced to judgment, the execution of the judgment was not satisfied, and the corporation is insolvent; or (b) the corporation has admitted, via writing, that the creditor’s claim is due, and that the corporation is insolvent.

Florida also allows for judicial interference in voluntary dissolutions. As a result, even if all the shareholders and other interested parties agree on the corporation’s dissolution, the corporation may seek to have its dissolution continued under court supervision.

EPGD Business Law is located in beautiful Coral Gables. Call us at (786) 837-6787, or contact us through the website to schedule a consultation.

*Disclaimer: this blog post is not intended to be legal advice. We highly recommend speaking to an attorney if you have any legal concerns. Contacting us through our website does not establish an attorney-client relationship.*

Share this post

Eric Gros-Dubois

Eric P. Gros-Dubois founded EPGD Business Law in 2013 and is the current head of the firm’s corporate, estate planning, and tax practice, and manages the firm’s Washington D.C. office. With a JD and MBA, and a specialization in finance, Eric is able to step back and view the legal world through a commercial lens while also acting as a trusted business advisor for his clients. He does his best to be solutions oriented, and tries to think like a business owner, not just a lawyer.


*The following comments are not intended to be treated as legal advice. The answer to your question is limited to the basic facts presented. Additional details may heavily alter our assessment and change the answer provided. For a more thorough review of your question please contact our office for a consultation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Contact Us

"*" indicates required fields