How Do I Change My Name in Florida?

Changing names

How Do I Change My Name in Florida?
The process of changing your name can be overwhelming and confusing. It’s always helpful to
hire a lawyer to facilitate the process. However, if you want to file on your own, the following
steps detail how to do so. Chancery courts have the ability to change the name of any person
residing in the state of Florida if that person informs a judge that they want to change their name
and the reason for the request. The Florida Change of Name Act outlines the general steps for
filing a petition with the court. The Act is found under Title VI, Chapter 68.07.

To begin the process of changing your name in Florida, an individual must file a petition with the
local county court where they reside. There are three different forms a person may file
depending on the type of name change request they are seeking, one for an adult name
change, one for a child name change, or one for a family name change.

Additionally, you will have to submit to a state and national fingerprint-based criminal
background check to the county court before you can request a hearing for your case, unless
the individual is seeking to restore a former name.

The court filing fees vary depending on the county a person is located in. In Miami-Dade
County, the filing fee is $400. In addition, people who request to change their name will also
incur expenses from fingerprinting fees, updating their driver’s license, and undergoing a
criminal history background check. Individuals who cannot afford to pay the fee may qualify for a
waiver or a payment plan.

Separately, the request for a name change form should not be used in connection with a
divorce, paternity, or adoption actions where the change of name should be requested as part of
that specific case.

What information must I include in my Name Change Request?

According to Florida Statute, each name change petition should include date and place of birth
of the petitioner, the petitioner’s father’s name and mother’s maiden name, and where the
petitioner has resided since birth. The petitioner must also include their occupation, place of
employment for the past five years, and any arrests, criminal history, or money judgments
against them.

If the petitioner is married or has children, the petitioner must also include the name of their
spouse and their children’s name and ages and where they reside.
If the petitioner seeking to change their name is a minor, parental consent is required. This may
be accomplished with one or both of the parent’s approval.

Can I Change My Name Online?
Yes, you have the option to change your name online. You can look up the specific
requirements based on the county you live in and file it on your county clerk’s website. You also
have the option of going to a self-service center located within most courthouses.

How Do I Change My Name In Florida After I Get Married?
To change your name in Florida after marriage, a person does not have to file a petition for a
name change in their local county court, but must notify the Social Security Administration of the
change. Then, the person must notify their local DMV of the change to receive a new license.

How Do I Update My Social Security Card in Florida?
If you need to update your social security card, you have to contact the Social Security
Administration in Florida. You will need to provide certain documentation which includes a
signed court order, your marriage certificate, a copy of an application form, and some proof of
identification like a passport or driver’s license.

EPGD Business Law is located in beautiful Coral Gables. Call us at (786) 837-6787, or contact us through the website to schedule a consultation.

*Disclaimer: this blog post is not intended to be legal advice. We highly recommend speaking to an attorney if you have any legal concerns. Contacting us through our website does not establish an attorney-client relationship.*

Share this post

Eric Gros-Dubois

Founding partner Eric Gros-Dubois established EPGD Business Law in 2013. With over a decade of experience expanding the firm and leading it to its current success, Eric now primarily manages the corporate division of EPGD. Given Eric’s educational background, holding both a JD and MBA, combined with his own unique experience of starting a business from scratch and growing it to a multi-million dollar firm, he brings a specialized and invaluable perspective to those seeking legal assistance for themselves and their businesses. Having now instilled his same values in our team of skilled corporate associates, Eric leads a firm that is always ready, willing, and equipped to handle any and every legal matter that a business owner may have.


*The following comments are not intended to be treated as legal advice. The answer to your question is limited to the basic facts presented. Additional details may heavily alter our assessment and change the answer provided. For a more thorough review of your question please contact our office for a consultation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Contact Us

"*" indicates required fields