As corporate attorneys, we hear all kinds of questions regarding LLC’s, Corporations, and other types of entities. A frequent question we get comes from other members of said company, asking for basic publicly available information. Further, whenever doing business with a company in Florida, you should verify that they are registered on Sunbiz. This post is created to share how to research the status of a Florida company online in this, the digital age.
Before we begin, you’ll want to have one or all of the following to aid in your search:
- Company Name
- Registered Agent
- Owner / Manager Name
- Street Address
- Fictitious Business Name
Once you’ve got them, then you can access your Florida company details through Sunbiz.org.
At first, you’ll find yourself consumed by a myriad of options but for the sake of this blog, we’ll focus on the task at hand.
1. Begin by clicking the Search Records tab.
2. Once redirected, you’ll find multiple options – choose the best fit for you.
3. Search the terms you gathered, and your answer will usually be within the first few.
4.Click on the Company, Registered Agent, Owner / Manager Name, Street Address, or Fictitious Name that fits and you’ll be redirected to the data of that entity or multiple entities registered under the such term. Then click the specific entity.
5. Your landing page header should be “DETAIL BY ENTITY NAME”.
6. The company page you searched for is essentially the meat and potatoes of that company. Here you’ll find information such as the Electronic Identification Number (EIN), the registered address(s), registered members and agents, and finally, at the very bottom, you’ll find the documents that have been filed for that company.
Voilá! You’ve successfully researched a Florida entity. As an example of what you should see, here is our own EPGD Business Law entity information.
If you’d like to see more simple tutorials like this, feel free to send your requests to email@example.com!